CS 444/544: Intro to Cybersecurity, Spring 2017
The syllabus is here and semester dates are here.
The "secpriv" mailing list is mandatory. We'll send important
announcements about the class to that list, but only the TA and myself will
send to the list. The "secpriv-chat" mailing list is highly recommended, all
students can post there and it's a good place for discussion, questions your
classmates might be able to answer, news related to the class, etc. Do
NOT put the "secpriv" mailing list in digest mode when you sign up. Here are
links to join the mailing lists for the class:
- Introduction, 18 January 2017
- Legal and ethics stuff, 23 January 2017, and some more info is here.
- Networking 101, 25 January 2017, and an example PCAP of HTTP that we'll look at is here.
- More networking, 30 January 2017
- Still more networking, 1 February 2017
- Network tomfoolery, 6 February 2017
- Crypto basics, 8 February 2017
- CBC padding oracle attacks, 27 February 2017
- Between 1 March 2017 and the midterm (22 March 2017) we'll be working our way through three sets of slides: some more attacks on symmetric crypto, information theory and pseudorandom number generation, and asymmetric crypto.
- Processes and authentication, 3 April 2017
- The midterm answer key is not a set of slides but this seems like a good enough place to put it.
- Vulnerabilities, Exploits, and the secure design principles of Saltzer and Schroeder, 10 April 2017
- Everything else, 17 April 2017
- Homework 1 was at the bottom of the syllabus.
- Lab 1 has been assigned, the two pcaps you need are part 1 and part 2. Updated: the Lab 1 answers are here.
- Homework 2 has been assigned.
- Homework 3 has been assigned.
- Lab 2 has been assigned and the tar ball is here.
- Homework 4 has been assigned.
- Lab 3 has been assigned and the groups assignments are here. Presentations are here.